Seniors have a role to play in the side: Kirsten

HoneY

MaaPeya Da LaaDLa
DHAKA: Fresh legs and new faces may have given Team India a young look but coach Garry Kirsten believes senior players can still play a role in the side even though they are not part of the mix right now.

Kirsten said the senior players are very much part of his scheme of things even though it's time to blood some youngsters. "You know that there are some senior players available to play One-day cricket for India. It is not that they will not be considered anymore. Certainly, they are very much part of it," Kirsten said.

"It is an exciting phase in Indian cricket to try some young players. I think they have shown that they are capable of playing in big situations like what we saw in IPL," he said.

Among the seniors, Sachin Tendulkar remains out of action with a groin injury while Sourav Ganguly and Rahul Dravid failed to find favour with the selectors in the One-day side.

Kirsten said it was a transitional phase for Indian cricket and a judicious blend of youth and experience is what the side needed.

"You know every team in the world need to go through the transition period. If we can mix it up with a bit of experience as well and make sure that in certain tournaments like this we play with our younger players, we would certainly go for that," said Kirsten.

Asked if it could be intimidating for a youngster to try and step into the shoes of a Tendulkar, Kirsten said it was the support staff's duty to make them feel comfortable.

"I think as support staff, we are attempting to create an environment. They have got the massive talent and potential. We make sure that they are comfortable in this environment. They are representing their country and there are big stakes that go with that. I feel that they have got to express themselves. We need to keep an environment continually set up for that," Kirsten added.