‘Selfie with daughter’ triggered a silent revolution, says P

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
The Prime Minister Narendra Modi today said a “silent revolution” was on in the country over gender issue after his call for “selfie with daughter” turned into an opportunity in ushering an attitudinal change.
“One day I mentioned of selfie with daughter and the whole world was surprised, perhaps in all countries someone or the other in lakhs took a selfie which accorded dignity to daughter and when the person posed for a selfie, he not only boosted the confidence of his daughter but also made a commitment within. And when people saw the selfie, they too must have felt it is time to give up sorrowfulness. This was a silent revolution,” he said.
In the 12th edition of his monthly “Mann Ki Baat”, Modi talked of a range of issues, from successes in people giving up subsidy on domestic cooking gas, Swacch Bharat campaign, increase in sale of Khadi, greater participation of voters in elections, tribute to soldiers on the occasion of 50th anniversary of Indo-Pak war and meeting next month with the family members of Subhash Chandra Bose.
Besides praising the All-India Radio, the preferred medium for his radio talk show, for its work in conveying ideas back and forth, the PM also had a special word for the Election Commission and its work to increase voter participation. The commission has yesterday rejected the plea of the grand alliance in Bihar to disallow the PM to do today’s programme.
“Earlier, the Election Commission used to be just a regulator. But over the last few years, the Election Commission has been instrumental in bringing about a change in the mindset of voters. It is now not only a regulator but also a facilitator,” he said.
The PM said at the same time the task of creating awareness should not be left to the Election Commission only but others should also contribute. He also mentioned his slogan, “pehle matdaan, phir jalpaan” (first vote, then eat).
During the 30-minute programme, Modi said during his visit to Kolkata in May, he met some family members of Subhas Chandra Bose. “I got an opportunity to spend some time with them. That day it was decided that the extended family of Subhas Babu will visit the Prime Minister’s residence…. Last week, I got confirmation that over 50 members of Subhas Babu are coming to visit the Prime Minister’s residence,” Modi said. “Over 50 members of Subhas Babu’s family, from various countries, will be coming…I am happy to welcome them,” he said.
However, the PM made no mention on his thoughts on demands for declassifying documents pertaining to the leader while emphasising that there was no greater happiness for him than to receive the family members of Subhash Bose in Prime Minister’s residence.
With his radio show completing a year, the PM said after his last exhortation to buy “khadi”, the sale had doubled without the government spending money taking out advertisements, raised awareness on clean India campaign from the streets to Parliament and also increasing number of people joining to “Give it Up” campaign for LPG subsidy.