Security scare as armed man walks up to Khattar’s office

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
In a major security breach at the Punjab and Haryana Civil Secretariat — a fortress guarded by over 600 security personnel — an armed man walked right up to Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar’s office without his firearm being detected.
Gurgaon resident SP Rana, carrying a .32 bore licensed revolver, on Tuesday breached three tiers of security before his firearm was detected on the fourth floor of the secretariat by the CM’s security staff.
Six Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel have been placed under suspension for the lapse and an inquiry has been ordered.
Rana, president of the All-India Ambulance Association, had gone to meet Khattar to urge him to withdraw the passenger tax on ambulances. Rana, while talking to The Tribune, said he was unaware of restrictions on carrying licensed arms inside the secretariat. “I have had this licensed revolver for some years as I frequent Uttar Pradesh. It’s for personal safety and I carry the revolver at all times,” claimed Rana, adding travel to UP was fraught with danger because of anti-social elements there.
“Instead of leaving my revolver inside the vehicle, I decided to carry it on me since I didn’t have my personal vehicle or staff,” he claimed. Rana had sought an appointment with Khattar and was asked to reach the secretariat at 2 pm on Tuesday.
But Rana arrived an hour late claiming the person accompanying him from Gurgaon was not familiar with the route to the secretariat.
After procuring a gate pass, Rana entered the front entrance without being frisked and walked right past the metal detector. Three companies of the Central Industrial Security Force remain deployed at the building at all times.
He was then frisked by the CISF staff, who again failed to notice the revolver. The firearm was discovered on the fourth floor, where CM’s office is located, by the security staff.
He was questioned by security men and let off after he proved his antecedents and produced the licence of his revolver. He was, however, not allowed to meet Khattar. The CISF Commandant stationed at the secretariat was later summoned. Rana admitted it was a mistake carrying a firearm inside a secure building. “I had no clue about the security procedures. On the fourth floor, when a security man asked me if I had a weapon, I conceded I had a revolver. I didn’t go there with any ill-intent and the security staff were convinced about that. I later asked them if there was any provision of depositing arms with the security, they replied in the negative. My only concern was leaving my pistol in the car.”