Sarabjit's Village Unites To Save Him

Lily

B.R
Staff member
SARABJIT'S VILLAGE UNITES TO SAVE HIM

Bhikhiwind March 18:
Sarabjit Singh’s native village has united to show its solidarity with the son of this soil. Relatives and friends, supported by religious and social organizations of the nondescript village close to Indo-Pak border have joined hands to save Sarabjit, who will reportedly be sent to the gallows on April 1 in Pakistan.
The locals made an announcement from Bhikhiwind Chowk, urging the traders to close their establishments to express solidarity for the man whose only offence was reportedly that he had crossed the border while he was under the influence of liquor some 17 years ago.
They also discussed the possibility of India releasing some Pakistani prisoners languishing in its jails so that the neighbouring country could release Sarabjit. This, the villagers said, would assuage the anti-India sentiments brewing in Pakistan after Mohammad Khalid’s body was handed over recently, barely a few days after a hale and hearty Kashmir Singh returned to India.
Prayers were also organized in temples and gurdwaras for Sarabjit’s release. Pakistan human rights minister Ansar Burney, who played a key role in getting clemency for Kashmir Singh and was also censured by his own countrymen for not turning up at the border to receive Khalid’s body, told TOI over the phone on Monday that he was concerned about the plight of Sarabjit’s two daughters, wife and sister. However, he added that India must also extend a similar gesture as shown by Pakistan in case of Kashmir Singh.
"My country must do everything possible to save my husband, who is innocent and is not Manjit Singh - under whose name he is being sent to the gallows," said Sukhpreet Kaur, who led the march. She added that India could also release the Pakistani prisoners languishing in Indian prisons in return of Sarabjit. Notably, Sarabjit was arrested on the fake identity of Manjit Singh for his alleged involvement in four bomb blasts in 1990 and was awarded capital punishment.
His family provided documentary evidence to Pakistan government that the person they had held in captivity and sentenced to death was not Manjit Singh, but Sarabjit. Sarabjit’s daughter Poonam said, "I pray that God gives Pakistani leaders some good sense so that they release my papa." A local resident, Surinder Pal, said Sarabjit had spent nearly 17 years in the jail, dying every minute and hanging him to death was not just cruel, but barbaric. "If Pakistan had sentenced him to life term in 1990, he would have been home by now," he added.
Tarwinder Singh, a shopkeeper, said, "Earlier too we participated in ‘Save Sarabjit’ campaign in 2006. This time again we are supporting his family. If we could call a Bhikhiwind bundh today, tomorrow it could be Punjab bundh, followed by an all-India bundh for Sarabjit’s release," he added.

Source : Punjab Mail Online