Sarabjit's Family Facing Tough Time

Lily

B.R
Staff member
SARABJIT'S FAMILY FACING TOUGH TIME

Bhikhiwind March 19:
Life had never been smooth for the family ever since Sarabjit Singh was convicted in Pakistan for his alleged involvement in four bomb blasts in 1990.
However, with campaigns being carried out for his release and the ray of hope coming with the release of Kashmir Singh, the family had dreamed of seeing him again. But after his hanging was announced for April 1, things seem to be slowing slipping out of hand.
While his youngest child Poonam finds it difficult to take her class X board exam, his elder daughter Swapandeep Kaur has resigned her housekeeping job in Jalandhar to be with the family at this hour of crisis. Even though his wife Sukhpreet Kaur earns a meagre salary from her job at Guru Nanak Dev University, she, too, is on unpaid leave, while his sister Dalbir Kaur has left behind all cares to be in Delhi to generate last-minute support for him.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh's assurance to take up Sarabjit's case with Pakistan has hardly comforted the family, especially after Pakistan's human rights minister Ansar Burney's about-turn in the case and his branding Sarabjit a 'terrorist'. "I wonder how Burney, who invited the wrath of his countrymen for the release of Kashmir, could now give such a judgement about a person without even ascertaining his real identity," said Swapandeep.
Showing photocopies of FIRs registered against Manjit Singh, on whose name Sarabjit was given capital punishment, she added, "FIRs registered in 1990 at separate police stations of Lahore mention Manjit Singh, son of Mehnga Singh of Bhikhiwind, whereas Sarabjit is Sulakkhan Singh's son."
Urging officials to at least confirm her job at GNDU, Sukhpreet said, "For every off I take, I lose Rs 100, which is deducted from my meagre salary of Rs 2,600." But, she still insists on staying home now. "Sitting at home and talking to the media, I at least get to know about my husband. Secondly, may be, Pakistan leaders take pity on us by seeing our miserable condition on television," Sukhpreet added.
While pleading his case last time, the family threatened to commit suicide and had clicked photographs holding a noose around their necks. But that too, failed to move the law. Poonam, who was just 23 days old when Sarabjit strayed into Pakistan, said, "I am already spending life like an orphan."

Source : Punjab Mail Online