‘sarabjit’s Case Appears To Be One Of Mistaken Identity’

Lily

B.R
Staff member
‘SARABJIT’S CASE APPEARS TO BE ONE OF MISTAKEN IDENTITY’

Chandigarh April 5:
Indian prisoner Sarabjit Singh, who is on death row in a Pakistani jail, appears to be a case of mistaken identity, former Pakistani minister and UN Human Rights Council Advisory Committee member Ansar Burney said.
"Prima facie his (Sarabjit's) case appears to be that of mistaken identity," he told reporters here after holding confabulations with the Punjab State Human Rights Commission chairperson and its other members.
After collecting "evidence" in the shape of a video CD and copy of an FIR from the family members of Sarabjit, Burney said that "prima facie it appears to be a case of mistaken identity. "But, it will take some time to establish this. I will have to deeply look into the evidence provided by Sarabjit's family members to me," he said.
Burney had yesterday said that he would soon take up the issue of Sarabjit's release with the newly-formed government in Pakistan. He said during the trial in Sarabjit's case in Pakistan, the witnesses had deposed before the court and identified him as the prime suspect in serial bomb blasts case.
"Now I will have to first see his case and then only I can proceed in favour of Sarabjit by keeping in mind the human rights aspects," he said. Burney said that if an iota of doubt comes in a case of death penalty, the award must be commuted. "I will have to cross check under what circumstances Sarabjit admitted in the court in Pakistan that he is involved in bomb blasts," he said.
Sarabjit, who is lodged in a Lahore jail, was sentenced to death for his alleged involvement in 1990 serial blasts in Lahore and Multan.

Source : Punjab Mail Online