Rival Kerala fronts face problems over candidates choice

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Thiruvananthapuram: With assembly elections just three weeks away, Kerala's main rival fronts are besieged by problems of varying kinds.

While the ruling Left Democratic Front (LDF) has announced names of candidates in all but one of the 140 seats, the Congress-led opposition is yet to release its list.

The reason is predictable. The Congress' seat sharing talks with allies have run into trouble with smaller groups grumbling and seeking more seats to contest.

The LDF saw a repeat of 2006 when Marxist V.S. Achuthanandan, 87, now the chief minister, getting a ticket after being told earlier that he will not contest — a decision that led to street protests.

Achuthanandan will now contest from Malampuzha in Palakkad district.

CPI-M leader and former finance minister T. Sivadasa Menon said Achuthanandan's name was not announced earlier after he reportedly said he will keep away from the April 13 polls due to ill health.

Achuthanandan insisted this was not true.

"I am turning 87 this October and not 89 as reported. Age is not at all a problem for me because of my self-confidence. I do yoga regularly. I have no health problems," he said.