Randhawa looking forward to weave old magic at Indian open

Lily

B.R
Staff member
New Delhi November 30:

Ace Indian golfer Jyoti Randhawa is looking forward to weave his old magic at the Hero Honda Indian Open, which returns to his favourite hunting ground - the Delhi Golf Club - from December 2.

''I am really looking forward to the Indian Open 2010. The Delhi Golf Club has always been a happy hunting ground for me so I want to take all the positives to the ground and hope to play my best, despite I am not in a great form'' Randhawa told mediapersons on the sidelines of unveiling the Hex City - Albatross International Junior Golf Championships Trophy.

Randhawa, the three-time Indian Open champion, further picked up PGA Tour champion Arjun Atwal as the favourite to win the event. ''(Arjun) Atwal would be my favourite to win the event this year. He is at the peak of his career and is coming back from his win at the US PGA Tour.

''Atwal has tendency not to play well in small tournaments but I believe he would come up with the best scores among all as Indian Open has now become a big tournament in recent years,'' he said. Indian leading golfers like Atwal, Randhawa, Jeev Milkha Singh, Daniel Chopra and Shiv Kapur had confirmed their participation in the event, though reports have emerged today that Jeev had pulled out of the event due to a back problem.

Jeev had also earlier withdrawn midway through the Casio World Open on the Japan Golf Tour last week because of the same problem. ''I just heard about it. We will definitely be missing him. He had a great chance in the event. ''Jeev has been playing very less tournaments in the recent past. I believe the age is catching us with all of us like Jeev and me. We are in our 30s, so we need to play fewer tournaments to hit the form,'' the 38-year-old said.

Randhawa further said a score of 12 to 18 under would be ideal at the DGC during the Indian Open, though he said he was yet to play at the course. The Indian Open which is usually scheduled in the month of October has been postpond this year due to the Commonwealth Games and the Gurgaon-based golfer said it is, indeed, for the Indian golfers as everyone can participate now.

''Its better for all of us. The conditions may be little different and it would be little drier and colder,'' Randhawa said. He was also delighted to know about top Indian amateur Rashid Khan turning a pro in the Indian Open 2010. Randhawa also feels that the bunch of Indian golfers like C Muniyappa, Ashok Kumar, Mukesh Kumar were no different than top golfers, but what differentiate them is the way the top pros handles pressure.

''They are good players. But what differentiate them is how they handle the pressure situation. ''There might be a surprise package this time as well stored because in golf, one hits his form wins,'' he added.