Punjab setting new milestones in growth, development

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Chandigrah January 26:

I extend my warm greetings to all Punjabis at home and abroad and wish them a very peaceful and prosperous future on the historic occasion of India’s 62nd Republic Day.

I am reminded of the unparalleled contributions of Punjab in bringing about the historic moment of Independence of this great nation. This paved way for the framing of our own Constitution with a right to vote and elect the Government of our choice. Punjab has special reasons to remember this day with reverence. Over 80 per cent of the great warriors, who made supreme sacrifices for attaining freedom, belonged to Punjab.

Punjabis’ immense contribution in bolstering the national freedom movement ultimately led to the culmination of British rule. The great martyrs Shaheed Bhagat Singh, Lala Lajpat Rai, Shaheed Udham Singh, Kartar Singh Sarabha, Dewan Singh Kalepani, Namdhari Baba Ram Singh, Sohan Singh Bhakna and many more who shed every drop of their blood and had languished in jails have left a rich legacy for all of us which demands constant love for our motherland and firm commitment to preserve India’s glory.

Our SAD-BJP Government during the past four years have turned a new leaf in revenue generation, infrastructure development, employment and skill development, power generation, governance reforms, international air connectivity, education, health care, rural and urban development.

We have declared 2011 as the year of transformation for Punjab in which the State would enter the decisive phase of the era of new age-development. The path breaking initiatives undertaken by the state government would be taken to their logical climax in this year. On the power front, our Government has focused its attention on making Punjab a power surplus state by generating additional capacity of 12,000 MW.

As many as 17 degree colleges, 7 hi-tech Government polytechnic colleges, 21 model schools, 21 girl hostels and 118 Adarsh Schools were being set up in the state to provide quality education to the students. Record recruitment of 45,000 school teachers have been undertaken in a transparent and fair manner.