Pm promises to go all out against terror
New Delhi November 28:
Even as the siege of India’s financial capital continued, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh delivered his strongest message yet about his government’s intention to crack down on the enemies of India.
Addressing the nation on the morbid occasion he sought to give an impression of the government and security agencies being in control of the situation. While condemning the assault in most severe terms, he assured Indian citizens that all possible measures would be taken against the perpetrators of this outrage.
Hinting for the first time that India might be contemplating hot pursuit, the Prime Minister said that his government “will go after perpetrators” of the attacks all the way. On the issue of more stringent laws, a demand that has been raised time and again especially by the opposition, the PM said current laws will be tightened as per the need. The PM said that National Security Act would be enforced so that the terrorists cannot escape.
He also addressed another long standing demand of setting up a Federal Agency to tackle terror saying that such an organistaion would be established. He also said police reforms would be initiated. “We cannot countenance a situation in which the safety and security of our citizens can be violated with such impunity,” he said firmly.
Sending out a clear signal that the government believed this strike to be the handiwork of foreign nationals, the Prime Minister warned neighbours that they would not be allowed to use their territory for anti-India activities. He also promised to take up the issue with the highest authorities of such countries, promising that there would be a cost if suitable measures are not taken by them.
"It is evident that the group which carried out these attacks, based outside the country, had come with the single-minded determination to create havoc in the commercial capital of the country." He said the "well-planned and well-orchestrated attacks, probably with external linkages, were intended to create a sense of panic by choosing high profile targets and indiscriminately killing foreigners."
The PM also promised to bring in a tighter visa regime saying no suspicious element will be allowed to set foot into the country. He also ‘saluted’ and condoled the death of those killed in action so far, including ATS chief Hemant Karkare. The PM said that the government would compensate those killed and injured in the attack and would bear the full medical expenses of their treatment.
The grave looking PM concluded by calling on all citizens to remain united and maintain peace and harmony in this trying time.