Pakistani girl mauled by dogs, shot dead by inlaws

prithvi.k

on off on off......
Pakistani girl mauled by dogs, shot dead by inlaws Parents
AFP

KARACHI - A pregnant Pakistani teenager was mauled by dogs and then shot dead by her inlaws over a property dispute, the girl's parents and a human rights group said.
######
But 17-year-old Tasleem Solangi's death was later justified as an honour killing by a local jirga or tribal council over allegations that she had affairs with other men, they claimed.

The incident, which happened in March but details of which have only emerged, is the latest honour killing that has claimed the lives of more than 150 women this year

Gulsher Solangi, from Khaipur district, 425 kilometres from the southwestern city of Karachi, said his daughter's new family, who deny any wrongdoing, repeatedly beat her after her marriage and demanded she transfer land and pay money to them.

She was killed when he refused to hand over his property, he added.

"I saw my daughter running helplessly trying to save herself from hounding dogs," the 59-year-old farmer said, adding that he was held inside a house as his daughter was thrown to the baying pack.

"I would not forget the screams of my daughter for the rest of my life."

Gulsher said he had since been threatened and forced to flee with his family from their village.

Tasleem's mother, Zakira, added that tribal elders later falsely accused her daughter of having illicit relations with other men to justify the killing.

One of her alleged suitors was also forced to pay a 400,000 rupees ($5,000 US) "fine" to the inlaws, she claimed.

Tasleem's father-in-law and Gulsher's brother, Zamir Solangi, said his family was not involved in her death and his son was innocent.

"All such allegations are baseless and concocted," he added. "We were sleeping at our home when about midnight we heard gunshots and came out from our house and saw her dead outside."

He said they were "forced" to accept the fine imposed by the jirga because it was a decision of the elders and they have authority in the area.

Note-
Legal marriage age in Pakistan is 16 for females and 18 for males. :wacko