Pakistan to retain same team

Lily

B.R
Staff member
3016958107.jpg

Dhaka: Pakistan captain Shahid Afridi indicated yesterday he would retain the side who defeated Australia in the World Cup group stages for today's quarter-final against West Indies.

Pakistan took the field for the Australia match without fast bowler Shoaib Akhtar and opened the bowling with left-armer Abdul Rahman as the defending champions were beaten for the first time at a World Cup since 1999.

"We want to go with the winning combination. We will see, but I think we are happy with this winning combination," Afridi told a news conference.

Afridi said the victory over Australia had given the 1992 champions a welcome confidence boost before the knockout stages.

"We worked hard before this World Cup. We are taking the practice sessions very seriously," he said. "I think we are feeling more confident now, it's a good sign before the quarter-final."

Afridi paid tribute to his bowlers, signalling out pace bowler Umar Gul for particular praise.

"He was struggling a little bit with his ankle before but I think he is 100 per cent fit," Afridi said. "He is doing a great job with the ball, especially with the new ball."

Leading from the front

Afridi has led from the front throughout the group stages, taking five wickets twice with his quick wrist-spin and heading the wicket-taking list with 17 victims.

"I am just trying to bowl wicket to wicket," he said.

"The conditions are very good especially for the spinners so I am not trying any experiments. Whatever the plan I make I try to stick with it."

West Indies captain Darren Sammy said his team were looking forward to returning to the ground where they defeated in Bangladesh in the group stages in a match which effectively ensured they reached the knockout stages.

He said his two key players Chris Gayle and Kemar Roach were ready to return to the side after missing the final group game against India.

Squad

Pakistan: Shahid Afridi (captain), Misbah-ul-Haq, Mohammad Hafeez, Kamran Akmal, Younus Khan, Asad Shafiq, Umar Akmal, Abdul Razzaq, Abdul Rahman, Saeed Ajmal, Shoaib Akhtar, Umar Gul, Wahab Riaz, Junaid Khan, Ahmad Shahzad.

Coach: Waqar Younus (Pakistan)

West Indies: Darren Sammy (captain), Chris Gayle, Devon Smith, Darren Bravo, Ramnaresh Sarwan, Shivnarine Chanderpaul, Kieron Pollard, Devon Thomas, Sulieman Benn, Nikita Miller, Kemar Roach, Kirk Edwards, Ravi Rampaul, Andre Russell, Devendra Bishoo.
[/img][/COLOR]