Pakistan denies 48-hour deadline report
Sunday, December 07, 2008 11:17 AM (Washington)
Pakistan has denied the report and reacting to the issue of the 48-hour deadline, spokesperson and press secretary to the President of Pakistan, Farhatullah Baber said, "We do not need to respond to each and every provocation expressed in the media."
Former ISI chief General Hamid Gul who said that he has not heard anything about a deadline that has been reportedly imposed on Pakistan by the US and India or that he is one of the people the US wants Pakistan to take action against. He also said India has made a huge mistake by taking a U-turn and allying with the US.
Earlier, India and the United States stepped up pressure on Pakistan to crackdown on terrorist groups operating from its soil, particularly the Lashkar-e-Toiba (LeT).
The leading US daily Washington Post, quoting a high-ranking Pakistan official, said that Pakistan has agreed to a 48-hour timetable set by India and the United States to formulate a plan to take action against Lashkar and to arrest at least three Pakistanis who Indian authorities say are linked to the assaults.
India has also asked Pakistan to arrest and handover Lashkar commander Zaki ur-Rehman Lakhwi and former ISI director Hamid Gul in connection with the investigation.
A top Pakistani official, on conditions of anonymity, has confirmed the information to the Washington Post.
Meanwhile, Pakistan says it is still awaiting "concrete proof" on suspicions that a Pakistan-based militant group was behind last week's deadly attacks in Mumbai.
"Pakistan is currently doing its own internal investigation and is waiting for concrete proof to be handed over to us. Our position is that we have always been and still are the victims of terrorism," said Pak President Asif Ali Zardari.
Zardari was responding to a question on suspicions that the 10 militants behind the Mumbai attacks belonged to the Lashkar-e-Toiba based in Pakistan.