Pak says will hit back if attacked

deepak pace

DJ_DEE
New Delhi: As the pressure from the international community mounts to crack down on terror, Pakistan has gone on a defensive, saying it will fight back any country’s attempt to “encroach upon its rights”.

"I wish to tell my countrymen that rest assured that it is peace that we want and not war,” Pakistan Prime Minister Yusuf Raza Gilani said, adding, "If anyone wants to encroach upon our rights, or impose themselves on us, we are capable of fighting back and the citizens of Pakistan need not worry on that account at all as the country is strong and in capable hands."

Gilani said his country’s biggest problem was poverty when asked if Mohammad Ajmal Kasab – the terrorist captured alive after 26/11 attacks - had taken to the terror route because of lack of money and resources.

"I stand here to help alleviate poverty. The root cause of terrorism is poverty, hunger, disease and unemployment,” he said.

"Neither are we in favour of terrorism, nor do we encourage it. In fact, it is our resolve to not allow the use of our country's territory for terrorism related operations. and if compliance to guidelines is concerned, it is the UN resolution that we are abiding by, It is not something India has done to us or brought into effect. This resolve has been in effect since 2001