Pak rubbishes Musharraf's statement on militants

Saini Sa'aB

K00l$@!n!
Islamabad: Stunned by Pervez Musharraf's admission that Pakistan had trained militant groups to fight in Kashmir, Islamabad today rubbished the former military ruler's statement as "baseless".

"I do not know really what prompted him (Musharraf) to say this because he is not in Pakistan and I would not really know as to the purpose of saying this," Pakistan Foreign Office Spokesman Abdul Basit said.

"But as far as government of Pakistan is concerned, I strongly refute these baseless suggestions," he was quoted as saying by a news channel.

Basit also said Pakistan supported Kashmiri people's struggle which he said was "purely indigenous and legitimate in accordance with UN charter and in accordance with international law."

Earlier, Musharraf admitted that Pakistan had trained underground militant groups to fight in Kashmir, the first such admission by a top leader of the country.

Musharraf's candid remarks came days after he announced his return to active politics from London where he has been living in self-imposed exile.

"They (underground militant groups to fight against India in Kashmir) were indeed formed," Musharraf told German magazine Der Spiegel in an interview.