Pak auto driver finds his voice again after Lata Mangeshkar’s praise

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
_29d91422175411e6a43b6996e2e2942c-1.jpg

A rickshaw driver in Pakistan’s port city of Karachi who shot to fame through his singing video on Facebook, says he has quit driving after being praised by legendary Indian singer Lata Mangeshkar.
Aslam has now started vocal training at home on a harmonium and always begins the session with the same ‘thumri’ that he sang in the famed video clip, Dunya News reported on Wednesday.

Watch the viral clip here

“I was amazed when Lata Mangeshkar praised my voice and skills and from that moment I have quit driving rickshaw,” he said.
The 55-year-old rickshaw driver got recognition when a clip was uploaded on social media in which he was singing acclaimed Pakistani maestro Ghulam Ali’s thumri Yaad Piya Ki Aaye.
As the ‘thumri’ sung by Aslam went viral, many were surprised to know that the singer drove an auto-rickshaw in Karachi.

A few hours after the clip was uploaded, Lata Mangeshkar in Mumbai shared it on her Facebook page.
She also wrote that she was stunned to hear this talented singer and wished for him to stand in front of the microphone and not drive a rickshaw.
However, Aslam is not new to being in the limelight. In 1993, he took part in a TV programme and reached the grand finale of the talent show.

He had also lent his vocals in some Pakistani films and movies but then his musical aspirations were hindered after he fell ill.