Oil mafia tries to set govt official on fire in UP

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
Badaun: In what may come as a major embarrassment for Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav, a state government official in Badaun was attacked by local goons, allegedly part of the oil mafia, who tried to set him on fire for raiding a ration shop yesterday.

Reports, Friday, claimed that Neeraj Singh, the district supply officer, was attacked while he was raiding a ration shop along with ten people to check on alleged kerosene hoarding.

Girish Chandra, the owner of the shop and a resident of Dehgawan village, attacked Singh with his men when the supply officer sealed kerosene barrels at the shop,

Chandra and his men broke the seals and damaged the window panes of his car, doused it with kerosene, with the government official inside, and then attempted to set it on fire.

Later talking to reporters, Singh said that the shop owner and his supporters tried to set the car aflame twice but failed.

"I was informed over the phone that large scale black marketing of kerosene was being done. We went with a team of 10 people and sealed drums of kerosene. They broke the seals. They then surrounded my vehicle and broke the windows of the car. And tried to set me and my car on fire. We have got a case registered under the Zarifnagar police station. My staff is local and will be able to identify the people. We had gone to conduct a raid on the shop of Girish Chandra Gupta," he was quoted as saying in a report by NDTV.

An attempt to murder case has been registered against 60 people, however no arrests have been made so far.