NRI family looted at dagger point

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Jalandhar March 3:

More than two dozen swindlers, armed with sharp edged weapons intruded into the house of an NRI family in Barring village of this district and looted gold ornaments worth lakhs of rupees besides a cash of Rs 50,000.

Deputy Commissioner of Police Arun Pal Singh, ADCP City (I) Dr Surinder Kalia and ADCP, Crime, Raj Pal Singh Sandhu, rushed to the spot and started investigations. All the routes of the village leading to GT road and link roads were sealed immediately and an alert was sounded.

Kundan Singh, head of the family said he had come to India to get his younger son Sukhpal Singh married. After the marriage ceremony was over, the newly wedded couple left for abroad yesterday. ''Late last night, at about 2230 hrs, more than two dozen youths, armed with sharp edged weapons, came to the house and said my elder son Dalbir Singh had sent some money from Australia.

But, when I told them that Dalbir had said nothing about the money during telephonic conversation held in the morning, they immediately held the whole family at dagger point,'' Mr Singh said. ''When resisted, they attacked the family members and after injuring us, broke open the locker of the almirah and decamped with the ornaments and cash,'' he added.