No fuel for motorbikes in Uttar Pradesh if riders don't wear

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Farrukhabad: In the first such road safety promotion initiative in Uttar Pradesh, two-wheeler riders of this district will be denied fuel at petrol stations if they are not wearing helmets.

The rule came into effect on Monday following the directives of the newly appointed District Magistrate Rigzin Sampheal. The district has over 5,000 registered two-wheelers.

"The entire exercise is aimed to prevent road accidents that turn fatal due to head injuries in the absence of helmets," Sampheal said.

Pump owners consulted

"From now onwards, two-wheeler riders without a helmet will not be given fuel at petrol pumps. In a way, you can say helmets would act as passes for getting fuel for the vehicles," he added.

The novel rule has been imposed after consultations with petrol station owners.

"Recently, I called a meeting of petrol pump owners to apprise them about my plan. They assured me of full support," said Sampheal. "The petrol pumps owners also said they could give a rebate of around 25 paise to two-wheeler riders who were wearing helmets," he added.

People support

Several teams of transport officials, traffic police and district police officers have been constituted to implement the rule.

"Such a move to promote road safety has been taken for the first time in this state," Inspector Dinesh Kumar, who is in charge of traffic management in Farrukhabad, said.

Locals hailed the initiative and hoped other districts too will come up with similar rules.