'No Entry' for Indians in this Israeli Cafe in Kasol

Miss Alone

Prime VIP
Kasol, in Himachal Pradesh, is an attractive tourist spot for backpackers, trekkers and nature lovers. It is also home to a large population of Israeli. Visitors here usually find internet cafes, body piercing parlours, reggae bars with signage in Hebrew.

Most of them do not have a restricted access, but one such discriminating Israeli restaurant has fallen into trouble for disallowing Indians and serving only foreigners.

According to a post on Facebook by Stefan Kaye, the owner of Free Kasol, an Indian himself, allegedly refused to give the writer's Indian friend a menu claiming it was a 'members only' cafe. Kaye was, however, given the menu for his white looks.

“I confronted the owner and accused him of blatant discrimination, he then tried to shoo me out and claimed loudly "it is my cafe and can do what I want!," Kaye said in his post on Facebook that’s gone viral.

Here’s the post by Stefan Kaye:

This restaurant in Kasol is called 'Free Kasol'. The freak asshole who runs it refuses to serve Indians. I walked in there with Ritika yesterday afternoon. They would not give her a menu claiming it was a 'members only' cafe. The owner did not realise we were together, I then asked for the menu and he duly obliged. I pulled him up about his claim that it was members only and he decided to stick to this yarn. Conversation went like this. "Why did you give me the menu then?" I asked him. "Because you asked to see it". "So once I had looked at it I would not have been able to place an order?" "That's right" he answered. Obviously we were not convinced by the owner's explanation so asked a few puzzled looking diners if they had to show a membership card to walk into this cafe. Of course none of them had to do any such thing. I confronted the owner and accused him of blatant discrimination, he then tried to shoo me out and claimed loudly "it is my cafe and can do what I want!" We weren't prepared to leave under these circumstances and made it clear to the exclusively white and predominantly Israeli clientele that the owner was operating a form of apartheid in his cafe. They continued supping tea and eating schnitzels.

It transpired that the owner is in fact Indian and has visited Israel every year for the past 15 years. His explanation for excluding a customer based purely on her ethnicity was that he 'was in a bad mood'.

Era

Prime VIP
Places in Indian where Indians are not allowed

When it comes to racism against Indians, no one does it better than we ourselves. Unlike every other country where racism is generally directed towards other nationalities, we love to direct it towards ourselves. Looking back now, it’s no surprise the Britishers took us over without much of a fight. Our inferiority complex has survived from then since now, untouched! Which is probably why there are, even in this day and age, places in India where Indians are banned from entering. Here are 5 that we know of!

1. Free Kasol Cafe In Kasol

It’s rather surprising that this hippy/hipster breeding ground is a venue for such in-your-face racism! This cafe became infamous after a story of its owners refusing to serve Indians went viral. The cafe discriminated against people based on their passports!

Kasol_abplive.jpg

2. Uno-In Hotel In Bangalore

This hotel in Bangalore was set up in 2012 in association with the Nippon Infrastructure company to cater exclusively to Japanese clientèle. The hotel however landed up in the spotlight after reports of them denying entry for Indians into their restaurant was picked up by the media. The hotel was soon shut down by the Greater Bangalore City Corporation (GBCC) on charges of racial discrimination in 2014!

Uno-In-Hotel.jpg

3. ‘Foreigner’s Only’ beaches in Pondicherry

Pondicherry is another favored destination for foreigners who come to India. It’s pristine beaches flanked by wonderful French and Portuguese architecture gives it its mass appeal. However, Pondicherry has many beaches that are exclusively maintained for foreign tourists and completely discourage Indians from visiting.

4. ‘Foreigner’s Only’ beaches in Goa

Goa is probably the most frequented tourist destination in India. Which is why it’s no surprise that Goa too has its own share of discriminatory establishments and beaches. Many shack owners try to weasel out a reason by claiming Indians tend to be lewd and loud. Something apparently foreigners are completely incapable of!

5. A Lodge In Chennai ( Name Unknown)

Reported in the Deccan Herald was a story of Hotel Highlands(name changed) in Chennai, a slowly crumbling but once elegant establishment that denies entry to Indians. Only those in possession of a foreign passport are allowed into this fine establishment!