Nawaz flip-flops on Qasab

deepak pace

DJ_DEE
Nawaz flip-flops on Qasab, demands proof from India.
Pakistan's former prime minister Nawaz Sharif has backtracked on his 'confirmed statement' that captured Mumbai attacker Ajmal Qasab was indeed a Pakistani.

Nawaz has now said that India should stop accusing Pakistan of being behind Mumbai attacks.

He said that India should provide concrete evidence against people involved in the Mumbai attack and if that proof comes then he would personally request President Asif Ali Zardari for action against them.

Nawaz Sharif had earlier backed India's claims that Qasab the lone terrorist in custody is a Pakistani citizen. Sharif had said that he'd verified media reports of Qasab's home in Faridkot.

"I have checked myself. Ajmal Amir Iman alias Ajmal Qasab's house and village have been
cordoned off by the security agencies. His parents are not allowed to meet anybody. I don't understand why it has been done," said Nawaz Sharif, ex-PM, Pakistan.

PTI adds: Sharif said Pakistan wants friendly and peaceful relations with India and is committed to helping New Delhi in hunting down the perpetrators of the attacks.

Terrorism is "poisonous for society" and nobody wants to live in a tense situation, he added.

The former premier also warned the leadership of India and Pakistan against making irresponsible statements, saying this will further aggravate the situation that has arisen in the wake of the Mumbai carnage.

Sharif said it will be better for the future of both countries if they resolved their differences through dialogue. India has blamed Pakistan-based elements, including the banned Lashkar-e-Toiba terror group, for the Mumbai attacks.

It has asked Pakistan to take action against these elements.

Pakistan has said it cannot push forward its probe into the attacks till India formally shares evidence with it. Referring to the domestic political situation, Sharif said he did not believe in any minority or majority.

He classified people who believed in the rule of law, supremacy of the Constitution, good governance and independence of judiciary as the majority in Pakistan.

Those who wanted the status quo, concentration of national resources in a few hands and violation of merit were in the minority, Sharif said.