Punjab News My party has no place for wornout leaders, says Manpreet

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Jalandhar April 23:

People’s Party of Punjab Chief Manpreet Singh Badal has claimed that some “very senior” leaders, including Shiromani Akali Dal MLAs, are in touch with him and are “keen to join the PPP” on the condition that their candidature is announced for the assembly elections.

However, he said, the PPP was keen on building its own leaders who had a clean image and were willing to make sacrifices for the state and nation. “We will not provide space to the condemned and worn-out leaders”, he said. He was addressing party members at the local local Desh Bhagat Yaadgar Hall yesterday. He said the state government was denying him information under the RTI on the expenses incurred on the security and transportation of the Chief Minister, the Deputy CM and some other VVIPs.

On Bir Devinder Singh, he said he had no differences with him, except on the age for retirement from active politics. Following Bir Devinder Singh’s suggestion the retirement age had been raised to 70, he said. “ I hope he will now join hands with the PPP,” he added. Refusing to talk about his ties with Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal, he said: “My focus is on issues related to the state and not me ties with some personalities.”

On the reforms he espoused, Manpreet Singh said no policeman would have to be on duty beyond eight hours. There would be a roaster system for the SHOs and they would be moved from one police station to another. Monopolising posts would not be allowed.

“Qualified youth would be empowered to register deeds with regard to landed properties. People would be free to get the deed registered from any person on the land rates fixed by the Deputy Commissioners concerned,” he said. The monopoly of tehsildars in this regard would have to be done away, he said. Earlier, Manpreet Singh inaugurated his party office near the local bus stand.