Move to quit: Hegde defers to Hazare

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Mumbai: In a departure from his rigid stance, Justice N. Santosh Hegde said on Saturday that it was for social activist Anna Hazare to decide whether he should quit the Lokpal Bill panel or not.

Hegde said he had no complaints after the Congress party ‘diluted' its comment on his efficacy as the Karnataka Lokayukta. But since he had said he would leave the panel, he would let Hazare take a final decision.

Hegde had announced he would quit the 10-member panel set up to draft an effective Lokpal Bill after Congress leader Digvijay Singh questioned his success in curbing corruption in Karnataka.

"I felt I should vacate it [panel] and somebody else can come because I was very hurt by the statement that was made. Now clarifications have been given, statements have been diluted. It's okay, I have no grievance and I have no complaints any more," Hegde said.

The former Supreme Court judge reached the capital on Saturday for a meeting with civil society members on his continuation on the panel. "I am bound by the decision of Annaji. Whatever Anna Hazare says I will agree," Hegde told reporters.