Mehbooba wants assurance on CBMs from none but PM

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
2016_2largeimg02_Tuesday_2016_232030392-1.jpg

Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) president Mehbooba Mufti has demanded substantial confidence-building measures (CBMs) to create an environment of peace and stability before forming the government.
She wants assurance on CBMs from the highest authority of Government of India (GoI), without elaborating much on these measures.
After this statement, it is clear that she wants an assurance not from the BJP, but from Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
She wants to be in a position to show people of the state something which justifies her delay in government formation and continuing the alliance with the right-wing BJP, which is not acceptable in the Muslim-majority Kashmir valley, from where the PDP got a majority of seats.
Mehbooba, as a PDP president, conveyed these points to the Governor during her 40-minute-long meeting at Raj Bhawan this evening. She was accompanied by the seniormost leader of the party, Muzaffar Beig, who favoured an alliance with the right-wing BJP.
“Mufti Saheb’s decision of allying with the BJP by putting aside electoral politics and party interests was because of his goodwill, commitment and conviction so that J&K was taken out of trouble. Despite facing adverse conditions and challenges, Mufti Saheb delivered during his 10-month rule. His commitment and conviction are sacred to me, but I am not Mufti Saheb. I don’t have that goodwill, experience and conviction with which he shook hands with Narendra Modi,” Mehbooba told mediapersons outside Raj Bhawan.
She replied to media queries for the first time after her father’s death on January 7. On continuing the alliance with the BJP and forming the government, Mehbooba said, “We will like to see what kind of CBMs are taken by the Government of India to give a fillip to the new government, where you can bring peace and development to the state. J&K is a very crucial state unlike other states and it was with this vision that Mufti Saheb shook hands with Modi.”