Marsh, Pomers benefit from IPL and Mohali from them

HoneY

MaaPeya Da LaaDLa
MOHALI: The Indian Premier League has thrown up some young domestic talent. Names like Swapnil Asnodkar (Jaipur), Manpreet Gony (Chennai), Wriddhiman Saha (Kolkata), Yogesh Takawale (Mumbai) and Sreevats Goswami (Bangalore) were virtually unknown and they have utilised the stage to further their career.

But that is only one side of the story. There have been two young Australian recruits who have made full use of the IPL to make a strong impact not only on the league but more importantly on their future in international cricket.

Shaun Marsh and Luke Pomersbach are two Mohali recruits who have yet to make a debut for their county but have already shown big talent and promise. They had to warm the benches initially when their senior countrymates, Brett Lee and Simon Katich, were hogging the show.

The moment the two youngsters got their opportunity when their seniors departed, they took it with both hands. Marsh is already the leading run-getter for his team with 378 from six games with four half-centuries, his lone failure being in the rain-curtailed game against Delhi. Pomersbach is yet to be dismissed in the three innings he has played, making 138 runs.

It's not the statistics alone which are impressive, but also the manner in which they have dominated the bowling and got the runs in the winning cause. The two play for the same side, Western Australia, and have proved a formidable combination when batting together.

Marsh was known more as the promising son of former Australian opener Geoff and a rising talent in Australian cricket. When he was signed up by Team Mohali, it was no breaking news. That was hogged by big guns like Ricky Ponting, Andrew Symonds, Brett Lee, Matthew Hayden and Simon Katich. And, of course the now-retired stars, Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist and Glenn McGrath.

The young duo have Team Mohali coach Tom Moody to thank for realising their talent and utility and picking them in the squad. Moody knew there would be an opening the moment Lee and Katich left on national duty and Marsh and Pomersbach would be the ideal replacements. And he was dead right.

Moody said, "I have seen Shaun (Marsh) and Pomers blossom right in front of my eyes. They are the future of Australian cricket. They have benefited as much from IPL as Mohali have from their talent. I am happy the two have justified the faint I reposed in them. They were unknown names in India when we signed them and thanks to their exploits in the IPL, they have made a name for themselves."