Man who fought Mangalore pub attackers

deepak pace

DJ_DEE
New Delhi: The Ministry for Women and Child welfare is sending a second enquiry team to probe the pub attack. The first enquiry by the National Commission for Women (NCW) is considered unsatisfactory.
When the NCW team visited, many say that it was not the hooliganism by the Ram Sena activists in the Mangalore pub that was being probed. The National Commission of Women's team that went to investigate the matter is now under the scanner, especially ever since the remarks made by Nirmala Venkatesh, a member of the NCW were made public.
"Everybody was dancing wearing so many nude clothes (sic) and all. That is why they did what they did, they (the attackers) said. We women should always try to safeguard ourselves," Nirmala Venkatesh had said.
Therefore Women and Child Development Minister Renuka Chowdhury has send an independent team to probe not only the incident but also the complaints made against the NCW team.
"I have come at the behest of Mrs Renuka Chowdhury, Minister for Women and Child development. We are making our own enquiry from the Central government, just to see what really happened," said Kiran Chaddha, a JS from the WCD Ministry.
Meanwhile, in Mangalore, the hero who had dared to intervene when the women were attacked at the pub says he facing trouble for trying to save the women.
"They are trying to spread a rumour that I am a Muslim but I am not a Muslim. My name is Pawan Shetty," said the Mangalore hero.
N Satheesh Kumar, the SP of Mangalore said, "He has given us a complaint. He has given us a number also. We have some information on that but we will do it."
A day after the 28 accused in the case walked out on bail, the state police thought it fit to register them as rowdy-sheeters so they can keep extra vigil.
Mangalore wears an uneasy calm but there's an underlying tension as everyone knows that the Ram Sena activists who carried out that attack now walk free.
Repeated enquiries cannot push away the fact that the police case will be weak until the actual victims speak out.