Ludhiana boy wins gold medal at NASA

deepak pace

DJ_DEE
It was like climbing the first step of the ladder when Divyansh Aggarwal won a gold medal at NASA. An alumnus of Sacred Heart Convent School, Sarabha Nagar, Divyansh is at present studying at Gurgaon.

“My school gave me a new outlook towards life and gave me many opportunities to develop myself in all aspects. One such opportunity came my way when I was selected for the Global Millenium Development Goals Summit (2008) in Mumbai. But the most important and memorable moment was when I got a chance to visit NASA for a space school engineering programme,” he says.
Twelve students were selected from his school and Divyansh was the group leader. The five-day trip was full of learning and new experiences. “The programme was aimed at the development of astronautical skills. I met and interacted with students from multi-ethnic backgrounds. It was a unique experience,” he says.
The teams were assessed on the basis of projects, tasks and presentations and the competition was tough. They also had to make a mini rocket and launch it with the help of hydrogen fuel, besides constructing a robotic Mars-rover and operating it on a replicated surface of Mars and designing an international space station.
“We also had an astronaut skill training competition in which we were supposed to land the shuttle, dock it and do space walk. I had to take tough decisions and motivate my team for a good score. We worked with dedication to achieve the best results. The programme was designed in such a way that while performing the tasks, I felt that I was in space,” he says. “We were told that we had set a record for space school engineering programme. We were honoured with a medal and certificate. I was speechless,” he adds with a smile