Lohan gets 90 days in jail

Rano

VIP
Los Angeles, July 7

Troubled star Lindsay Lohan has been sentenced to 90 days in jail followed by as many days in rehab for violating the terms of her probation in a 2007 drug case. Los Angeles County Superior Court Judge Marsha Revel handed down three 30-day sentences and an order to spend 90 days in a locked-down drug rehabilitation facility, ignoring the 24-year-old actress’ tearful pleas.

The ‘Mean Girls’ star broke down after hearing the sentence, promising to comply with the rules. She defended her failure to attend weekly alcohol education classes and follow earlier orders by the judge, Los Angeles Times reported.

But Revel ignored Lohan’s pleas and listed instances in which the actress had lied to the court and to authorities. “There were a number of instances of (Lohan) not taking things seriously. It’s like someone who cheats but doesn’t think it’s cheating if they don’t get caught,” Revel said.

The case relates to two drunk-driving arrests in 2007.

Lohan was sentenced to three years of probation but had to ask for a yearlong extension in October last year after she failed to complete her alcohol-education courses on time.

The actress repeatedly violated the terms of her probation and failed to turn up for a mandatory court appearance in Beverly Hills earlier this year.

Later, photos of her partying at the Cannes Film Festival surfaced, angering the judge. Lohan maintained that she could not attend because someone had stolen her passport.

In May, an alcohol-monitoring bracelet was fitted on Lohan. “As far as I knew I was in compliance with my programmes. I wasn’t trying to get special treatment. I have to provide for myself. I have to work,” Lohan said.

“Having said that, I did everything to balance my jobs and showing up. I’m not taking this as a joke. It’s my life.

It’s my career. I take responsibility for my actions. I’ve tried to do the best I can. It’s been such a long haul. I don’t want you to think that I don’t respect you,” she said to the judge.

Lohan is scheduled to surrender to authorities on July 20 and will be housed at the Century Regional Detention Facility in Lynwood, in a wing that is separate from the rest of the jail population. — PTI