Kochi franchise included in IPL

Saini Sa'aB

K00l$@!n!
Dubai: Cricket lovers in Kerala welcomed the decision of the Indian Premier League (IPL) Governing Council to include the Kochi franchise in the fourth edition of the IPL set to commence April 8.
The Kerala Cricket Association (KCA) welcomed the news with delight. Speaking to Gulf News from Thiruvananthapuram, T.C. Mathew, the secretary of the KCA, said: "We are very much excited about the news. A new era in Kerala cricket will commence soon."
The uncertainty over Kochi franchise ended when owners resolved their internal dispute and presented a new ownership pattern to the Governing Council which met in Mumbai yesterday.
The KCA lost all hope of having a team from their state in the IPL soon after the Kochi franchise ran into trouble. The BCCI had even issued a termination notice to Kochi franchise on October 27.
"It is a great moment for us because now we can hope for Kerala players to get into the IPL. This will lead to more youngsters taking up cricket in our state," added Mathew.
"Until our association's cricket stadium comes up, which is expected to be ready by 2013, our IPL matches will be played at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium," said Mathew.
Former Kerala captain S. Ramesh, who is the director of Kerala Cricket Academy, said: "We are thrilled that the suspense over Kochi being part of the IPL has ended. It was very important for Kochi to play in the IPL because it will provide chance for many promising youngsters in our state."|
Ramesh, who has captained Kerala in the maximum number of matches, said: "Kerala cricket is progressing tremendously. We have qualified for the knockout Twenty20 tournament finishing second from the South Zone.
"So the clearance for Kochi has come at a stage when players are showing promise. What they need is exposure and Kochi team will help our players to showcase their talent in the IPL," he added.
Auction
Meanwhile, S. Sreesanth, the only player from Kerala in the Indian team has expressed his desire to play for Kochi team. "It is my desire to play for the Kochi team but I do not know how things will transpire because all players are going to be auctioned. It is my dream to play for Kochi."