Karzai: Pakistan is a twin brother, India a great friend

Lily

B.R
Staff member
New Delhi: The visiting Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai has clarified that the strategic partnership treaty signed with India on Tuesday was not aimed against Pakistan or any other group of countries.

"Pakistan is a twin brother. India is a great friend. This agreement will not affect our relations with our brother," Karzai said after delivering a lecture at a local five-star hotel organised by the Observer Research Foundation yesterday.

He also said he had long stopped blaming Pakistan for the continued violence in his country.

"From 2002 to 2005, I was vocal. But when I saw Pakistan was beginning to suffer from terrorism and radicalism, I began to change my rhetoric. Since then, no government of Afghanistan has engaged as extensively as I and my government have, by launching a peace process with Taliban and by engaging with Pakistan. We have not received the result we want, what we wish," Karzai said.

"Afghanistan is also negotiating strategic partnership with the US, Nato and European Union. By 2015, Afghanistan will be entirely responsible for its security. Afghanistan will be looking to its affairs on its own in cooperation with India, US, Iran, Saudi Arabia and our neighbours," he said.