Jan Lokpal bill live: Kejriwal set to quit as Delhi CM

[JUGRAJ SINGH]

Prime VIP
Staff member
kejriwal12_650_021414084051-1.jpg

Delhi Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal on Friday resigned after the BJP and Congress combined to defeat introduction of the Jan Lokpal bill which he tabled in the assembly defying Lt Governor's advice.

"This appears to be our last session. I will consider myself fortunate if I have to sacrifice the chief minister's post 1,000 times and my life to eradicate corruption," he said in a brief speech earlier in the assembly after his government suffered defeat on its pet anti-graft legislation.

On a day of dramatic developments in the assembly lasting over four hours, the 45-year-old Chief Minister, who has had a roller coaster ride ever since he took over reins of power on December 28, last year, accused the Congress and BJP of "colluding" with each other against the bill after his government ordered filing an FIR against RIL chairman Mukesh Ambani.

Uproarious scenes were earlier witnessed in the House on the issue of introduction of the Bill with BJP and Congress forcing the Speaker to read out the Lt Governor Najeeb Jung's advice to the assembly against tabling the measure since it was not in accordance with procedures laid down under the law.