Injured youth lies unattended on road

HoneY

MaaPeya Da LaaDLa
NEW DELHI: A 21-year-old accident victim was left unattended on the busy Andrews Ganj flyover for almost 30 minutes on Monday evening before being taken to the AIIMS Trauma Centre where his condition was stated to be critical. Eyewitnesses, including a senior AIIMS doctor who was the first to attend to the victim, claimed that though a PCR call was made at 5.05 pm, a van only arrived after half an hour.

The incident makes a mockery of the police commissioner's claim that patrolling in the city was satisfactory. On July 11, a private security officer was fatally shot below the same flyover by four assailants during a robbery attempt. At that time too, the deceased's family members had alleged he lay unattended for almost an hour.

"I was driving back home when I saw this young man falling from his scooter. He rammed against the railing of the flyover. Even though he was wearing a helmet, he was badly hurt. I immediately called up both the CAT and PCR, but a precious 28 minutes were lost before a stretcher could be arranged for him," said the doctor.

When the Kotla Mubarakpur police station was contacted, policemen on duty told Times City that it usually takes time for "MLCs to be completed at the AIIMS Trauma Centre. Once the report is completed, we are informed. As of now, we have little knowledge about the incident."

Meanwhile, the senior doctor said what was even more shocking was the manner in which messages sent out by policemen were treated in the control room. "I spotted a constable minutes into the accident and asked him to help us. He sent a message through his wireless straight to the control room. Yet the reaction time was an alarming 25 minutes," the doctor alleged.

The police though denied the claims. "We always try to be at the spot at the earliest. We will look into this incident to see what might have delayed action as claimed," said a senior officer associated with the PCR.