Industrialists rue lack of infra at Mohali IT City

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
While the state government has stated that it is keen on attracting industries here, it has failed to provide the necessary facilities and infrastructure to industrialists.
Two years after making big announcements in this regard, the authorities are yet to provide even the basic infrastructure at the upcoming IT City in the town. In the absence of the basic infrastructure, including roads, electricity and water connections, industrial plot holders are finding it hard to start construction work at their sites.
A delegation of industrial plot holders held a meeting with GMADA Chief Administrator AK Sinha in this regard last week and apprised him of their problems.
An industrialist, who has bought a plot here to run his IT unit, said on condition of anonymity, “What to talk of infrastructure, it’s even difficult to locate one’s plot here.”
“I want to construct a building here, but feel helpless as there are no roads, electricity or water connection. In the absence of the basic infrastructure, how can I start the construction work?” said the industrialist. Another industrialist said due to a delay in the construction work, he had no option but to continue his business from a rented accommodation.
“I have taken a loan to buy a plot here. I was hopeful of running my unit from my own premises this year. However, now I have to pay both the rent as well as the instalments, which has affected my business,” he said. GMADA has hired the services of L&T to develop the basic infrastructure in the IT City. A senior GMADA official admitted to the delay in the work.
The GMADA Chief Administrator said the company had been given a deadline of October 25 to complete the work.
“The company has been clearly told that a heavy fine will be imposed on it if it fails to meet the deadline,” he said.
However, the Chief Administrator said it was wrong to say that no infrastructure was available at the site. “Work is on at the site,” he said.