India talks with Italy fail to resolve dispute

Lily

B.R
Staff member
New Delhi/Kochi: The foreign ministers of India and Italy on Tuesday sought to "clear the air" over the killing of two Indian fishermen by two Italian marines.

But they failed to resolve their differences, with Rome reiterating that the incident should be tried according to international law.

The foreign ministers' meeting took place in Delhi as the Kerala High Court asked the owner of Italian cargo vessel Enrica Lexie and the families of the two slain fishermen whether they were willing to have an out-of-court settlement.

The February 15 killing figured prominently in talks between External Affairs Minister S.M. Krishna and his Italian counterpart Giulio Maria Terzi di Sant' Agata.

After the talks, Krishna said at a joint press briefing that "strong public opinion" existed in both countries over the issue.

"We met in the backdrop of an unfortunate incident involving the death of two Indian fishermen and the subsequent detention of two Italian navy personnel. There is strong public opinion on both sides," Krishna said.

Commitment

"Minister Terzi and I agreed that we need to clear the air so that people in both countries are reassured of our will and commitment to strengthen our partnership," he said.

"We are of the view that our relations are mature and based on strong foundations. This gives us the ability to address challenges together," he said while stressing enormous scope for expanding the bilateral relationship.

The Italian foreign minister, who came here on the heels of the visit by his deputy, said he regretted the deaths but admitted that differences of opinion persisted with India on the issue.

"I have expressed the condolences of Italy and the Italian people over the unfortunate, tragic loss of lives," said Terzi.

He said he appreciated India's readiness to allow Italian observers into the judicial process which has been initiated in Kerala to investigate the chain of events leading to the killing of the two fishermen. There was, however, no breakthrough in the talks.

"I have explained frankly the position of our government on the legal aspect. International law should try the Italian men. There is difference of opinion on this and it has not been resolved," Terzi said.