‘High flier’ Charanjit Singh

Jeet4560

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Punjab

pb2-1.jpg

‘High flier’ Charanjit Singh
Charu Chhibber
Tribune News Service

Ludhiana, April 28
The New Zealand Government is extremely supportive and ensures a conducive environment for all, irrespective of one’s nationality or race. So says Flying Officer Charanjit Singh, the only serving Sikh officer in the New Zealand Air Force.
Serving the force with pride, the 40-year-old Flying Officer says as an immigrant, he could not have asked for more from the NZ Government, which allowed him to work in their prestigious defence services, devoid of any racial and religious biases.“Representing NZ at the international level is a matter of great pride for me,” said Charanjit Singh, who has just returned from a United Nations peace mission at South Korea.
“Being recognised as an Indian no matter where I am gives me immense pleasure,” said the man who is often addressed as the “Flying Sikh”.
Charanjit has not only done the Sikh community proud, but also given the entire nation a reason to look up to him with pride.
Serving in the engineering branch of the NZ Air Force since 2007, Charanjit is proud to be a Sikh and denies being subjected to racial discrimination. “Even when Indians abroad were facing racial assaults, the NZ Government was engaged in safeguarding every resident’s interests,” said the officer, who was in the city today to meet his younger sister.
Talking to The Tribune, Charanjit Singh, who belongs to Kurukshtra in Haryana said, “When one immigrates to another country, one just doesn’t move geographically. One has to adopt the country to be a part of it. Complete assimilation is the key to acceptance on foreign shores.”
He added that he knows at least five Indians working in the NZ Police Department who were completely satisfied with their work and the recognition that they get for it like any other native officer. “This is a clear indication of the secular character of the country,” he remarked.
Charanjit revealed that he had immigrated to NZ in 1998 along with his family after working in BEL in Panchkula, Haryana, for a while. A role model for his entire family, especially the children, Charanjit does not consider his feat an achievement and says he would like to see more Indians representing the nation across the world and “achieving great heights”.