Hazare's win leaves some sceptical about Lokpal Bill

Lily

B.R
Staff member
New Delhi: A day after social activist Anna Hazare called off his fast against corruption, many of his admirers on Sunday hoped it would bear fruit. Some others were sceptical if the Lokpal (ombudsman) Bill demanded by him would really succeed in tackling graft.

Tens of thousands across the country cheered on Saturday when Anna Hazare, 73, called off his 97-hour fast-unto-death for a rigorous anti-corruption law after the government accepted his demands.

"I was born and brought up in this city and never before have I seen so many people gather at one place supporting a cause. Moreover, all of them came there spontaneously. This agitation by the people has proved that India is a great democracy," said Shashi Verma, 52-year-old government employee.

Sunita Jhamb, a 43-year-old homemaker, agreed. "It was the middle class that made the movement successful," she said.

"The middle class for the first time since I can remember has come together for a cause and has proved that a revolution without violence can be brought about just with determination and self-belief," Jhamb said.

Opposition

But while many saluted the social activist's determination to fight corruption, there were some who did not approve of his protest to make the government meet almost all of his demands.

A few others said they did not believe that the anti-graft bill would be passed in parliament smoothly.