Haryana village in bind over education clause for sarpanch

Jaswinder Singh Baidwan

Akhran da mureed
Staff member
The “mandatory education” clause for sarpanch has created a serious problem for the residents of Begpur village of Kaithal district. The post here is reserved for an SC (woman) candidate, but the village does not have even a single woman who fulfils the mandatory education criterion.
“Immediately after the announcement of elections, I thought of solemnizing the marriage of my sons. But their would-be wives are below 20 years of age, so they will not be able to contest the elections. I have shelved the plan. Till date, our village does not have even a single class VIII pass SC woman candidate,” said Dariya Ram, an outgoing member of the village panchayat.
As the last date for getting registered as a voter from the village was September 12, now there is no chance of fielding any newly wed daughter-in-law of the village for the post of sarpanch.
There are around 1,000 voters in the village, including 133 SC voters and 300 Gujjars.
Kaithal Deputy Commissioner KM Pandurang said he would look into the matter.
“The filing of nomination for Begpur will start from October 1 and we are aware about the lack of candidate in village. We will take a decision after the expiry of deadline for filing nominations,” said Surender Kumar, DDPO.
"The education clause has created a serious problem for the village. Earlier, we had heard that the wife of fellow villager Ladi, a mason, fulfilled the mandatory education criterion, but the information turned out to be wrong. Now, we plan to meet senior officers to apprise them of our problem." — Raj Singh, outgoing sarpanch