Free voice calls to cheap 4G phones: Takeaways from Reliance Jio launch
From affordable 4G handsets to attractive data plans, Reliance Industries chairman Mukesh Ambani made some big announcements at the launch of RJio at the company’s annual general meeting in Mumbai on Thursday. “Every Indian can now do datagri,” he said. Here are the key takeaways:
1) All voice calls for Jio customers will be absolutely free; roaming charges across India will be zero. This follows the principle that the customer pays for only one service, either voice or data, not both. “Jio will never charge for voice,” said Ambani.
2) Data tariff will be low. Jio will have a base rate that is a tenth of current market rates: 5 paise per MB. The more data you use on Jio, the lower the rate.
3) Special for students: Anyone with a valid student ID card will get 25% more data on Jio.
4) There will be 1 million public Wi-Fi hotspots from Jio by the middle of next year.
5) Affordable 4G LTE smartphones will be launched at Rs 2,999.
6) Jio apps free for one year till December, 2017. Jio plans apps around education, rural, health and agriculture.
7) Jio will offer monthly tariff packages ranging from Rs. 150 to Rs. 5,000 a month.
8) Anyone with an Aadhaar card can walk out of a Jio store with a working connection in 15 minutes.
9) On Diwali or New Year operators charge double rate to message; that won’t happen on Jio.
10) Jio will have a 4G service, not mostly 2G, sometimes 3G, and occasionally 4G.
11) With Jio TV, any time is prime time. It will have more than 300 live channels with access to any programme aired the previous week