Foreigners molested, robbed during Puri Rath Yatra

pps309

Prime VIP
PURI: Close on the heels of the stampede in which six people were killed and scores injured, a group of five Japanese women was allegedly molested and robbed of its valuables during this year's Rath Yatra in Puri.

The five were among 27 visitors from Japan who had arrived in Puri on July 2 to see the festival.

"The incident took place during the annual Rath Yatra last Friday when we were trying to pass through a crowded lane for a better view of chariots and deities. Suddenly about 30 people blocked our way and surrounded us. They mobbed us from all sides, pushing and nudging us. We felt suffocated. There were policemen, but nobody helped us," said Junko Kabaya showing the injury marks on her body.

"The rowdies tore my shirt. I have scratches on my chest, hands and ankles," Junko added. The miscreants also targeted men and snatched their valuables.

"They took away my digital camera and mobile phone. They also snatched a camera from one of the members of our group," said Naoki Jino, a tourist.

Another Japanese women tourist said, "It was our first visit. We came to Puri by road as rail services were hit due to floods. We wanted to watch the Rath Yatra." Her friends were equally dejected.

"We will think twice before attending any Indian festival in future," one of them said.

The tourists, however, decided not to lodge any police complaint.

"All these happened in presence of cops. That's why we are not keen to file any complaint," one of them said.

munda_wakhre_type_da

-- Kem da Gui --
baiyaan ne socheya hona ke assam di jananiyaan ne so hune mauka hai ina assamiyan walo piche je kite apne baiyaaan de qatal-e-aam da badla laen da..so tang do..