‘Flying Sikh’ to take off on big screen

Jeet4560

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Chandigarh Stories

‘Flying Sikh’ to take off on big screen
Akash Ghai
Tribune News Service

ct4-1.jpg
Chandigarh, March 18
Half-a-century after he achieved international fame, ‘Flying Sikh’ Milkha Singh will soon be adding another feather to his cap. Bollywood’s famed director Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra of ‘Rang De Basanti’ fame will make a film on this acclaimed achiever, the first ever on an Indian sportsperson.
A formal announcement on the film, ‘Bhag Milkha Bhag’, along with details, will be made tomorrow by Mehra, who is specially flying into the city.
Talking to this correspondent, Padamshree Milkha Singh expressed happiness over the development. “I am very happy and my family feels very proud as Mehra is going to make a film on my life and achievements”, said 75-year-old Milkha Singh.
The top athlete of the country is evidently impressed with the director’s skills. “I have seen his Aamir Khan-starrer ‘Rang De Basanti’ and found it marvellous. In fact, after seeing the movie, my son Jeev said ‘yes’ to the project as it was being handled by one of the most talented directors of the film industry”, said Milkha Singh.
“As my all achievements and milestones in life are the result of hard work, I wish that the film will carry the message that nothing is possible without hard work and determination. The film should be the source of inspiration to the youth, parents of sportspersons, sports officials and the government”, said Milkha Singh.
“Today’s youth want to grab all successes in life instantly. But success always follows the hard work. We are a country of over one billion, but on the athletics field at the Olympics and other sports disciplines, we are seen nowhere. The reasons are clear that we lack determination and hard work. At the fag-end of my life, I wanted to convey the importance of these aspects in life and the the film would play important role in the direction”, he said.
However, the legendary athlete declined to reveal the cast and other details of the project, saying Mehra would announce the details tomorrow.
Mehra is known for his top-class films, including Amitabh Bachchan-starrer ‘Aks’, ‘Rang De Basanti’ and Abhishek Bachchan-starrer ‘Delhi-6’.
Indian advertising professional Prasoon Joshi, popularly known as ‘Ad-guru’, will be included as script-writer in the ambitious project. Asked whether Milkha Singh would play a role in the film, he said it depended on the wish of the film-makers. “If they say so, I will also act in the movie”. A documentary film on the ‘Flying Sikh’ was made by the Government of India in 1970.

Milkha’s achievements
l First Indian to win gold medal in 400m (47.6 sec) at the 1958 Commonwealth Games in Cardiff, Wales, UK.
l Won gold in 200m and 400m events at the Tokyo Asian Games in 1958, clocking 21.6 seconds and 47 seconds, respectively.
l Finished second in the first heat of the 400m (47.6 sec) at the Rome Olympic Games, 1960. Improved timing in the second heat (46.5 sec) and grabbed the second position. Finished second in the semi-finals with a timing of 45.9 sec. Finished fourth in the final after leading the race initially, trailing by 0.1 sec.
l Won gold at the 1958 Asian Games in 200m and 400m.
l Won gold at the 1962 Asian Games. l Won gold at the 1958 Commonwealth Games.