Fiza knocks on pshrc door

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Chandigarh February 20:
Going all out to get an FIR registered against her husband Chand Mohammed alias Chander Mohan, 37-year-old Fiza knocked on the doors of Punjab State Human Rights Commission (PSHRC).

Maintaining that her human rights, life and dignity must be secured, former assistant advocate general (AAG) Haryana pleaded before the commission that police should be directed to conduct a thorough probe. The complaint was moved under various sections of Human Rights Act read with Article-21 of Constitution of India against SSP Mohali and Chand Mohammed, former deputy CM of Haryana. Accepting her petition, PSHRC has now fixed February 25 for hearing arguments on it.

Mobbed by media and onlookers, Fiza, clad in a white salwar-kameez, refused to make any statement before filing of a complaint and headed straight to the commission’s office in Sector 34. Talking to reporters, she said practicing law or joining politics was the last thing on her mind. “I want justice and would fight for it till my last breath. Owing to the laidback attitude of cops towards my complaint, I was forced to file this petition,” she stated. The couple entered the wedlock in December 2008 and the marriage fell apart recently.

The complaint filed with Mohali police and PSHRC alleged Chand Mohammed committed fraud and raped Fiza. Human rights activist Arvind Thakur, who represented Fiza before the commission, said, “Despite lodging a criminal complaint against Chand Mohammed, Mohali police didn’t register any FIR and this suggests that cops are under tremendous political pressure.” Disclosing their next course of action, Thakur added, “We are now going to send a representation to Haryana’s speaker for debarring Chand Mohammed from legislative assembly.”