Easter celebrated with fervour across India

Lily

B.R
Staff member
Thiruvananthapuram/Mumbai/New Delhi: Christians across India on Sunday celebrated Easter with fervour and joy.

In Kerala, devotees made a beeline for churches early in the morning to take part in Easter mass.

Over the years, it has become customary for the priests to hand out slices of cake after the mass, bringing to an end the 46 days of Lent observed by Christians, many of who forego non-vegetarian food during the period.

However, the practice has undergone a change over the years.

"Gone are the days when Lent was observed strictly for the entire period of 46 days. In our childhood days, Lent was synonymous with Easter. Today, times have changed. I have observed that it is only in the last week starting Palm Sunday when many homes turn vegetarian," said 80-year-old Aleykutty Joseph in Kottayam.

Christian families celebrate the day with the traditional Easter breakfast, comprising of appam (rice pancake), baked bananas, egg curry and mutton or chicken stew.

Midnight mass

In Mumbai, Christians welcomed Easter Sunday with a midnight mass and broke their fast with a traditional feast. Marzipan sweets and Easter eggs were served in many households.

"The Easter egg symbolises Christ's resurrection and new life," city resident Michael Pinto said.

"In contrast to the simple food during Lent, Easter heralds a feast with rich food," Pinto said.

On Sunday, some Christians attended morning mass, after which they visited friends and family.

Rachel Fernandes from suburban Borivli said she was busy setting up a table full of goodies, including cakes, Easter eggs and marzipan sweets for guests.

Big lunch

"Most of my friends and relatives feast on the sweets I make every year. Treating friends and relatives with goodies is the best way to get the Easter feast started," she said.

For the family of Binoo Francis, Easter is all about the big family lunch cooked by the lady of the house.

"My wife cooks this delicious lunch of our favourite non-vegetarian dishes. My children are young and they don't observe Lent, but my wife and I have been observing it since the last 10 years," he said.

In New Delhi, the main Easter service was held at the Sacred Heart Cathedral, where about 3,000 people attended a midnight mass. Father J. Rebello greeted the community on the occasion. People lit candles, sang hymns, offered prayers and distributed hot cross buns and food packets at various churches.