Didn't even know I got the hat-trick, claims Ntini

HoneY

MaaPeya Da LaaDLa
Forget the fans at the ground, even Makhaya Ntini didn't know initially that he had completed a hat-trick in the IPL match against the Kolkata Knight Riders at the Eden Gardens. It came under strange circumstances, when Ntini removed Sourav Ganguly in the last ball of the fifth over (which was his third) and came back to get two of two in the first two deliveries of the 17th.

"It's high-intensity stuff and you don't remember that you got a wicket in the last over of your spell which finished an hour-back," Ntini told The Times of India after a gym session at the team hotel on Monday.

"When I came back for my next spell, my job was not to give away the runs. That I had completed the hat-trick didn't even occur to me when I removed Debabrata Das and David Hussey," the South African paceman said.

Later, he was told by his teammates that he had got the hat-trick. "Yes, it felt good, but it was more satisfying because we went on to win such an important game," the Chennai Super Kings paceman added.

Ntini couldn't find a place in three back-to-back matches after the games against Dalhi Daredevils and Team Hyderabad, but the South African wasn't really bothered by it. "I knew I didn't bowl badly...So, there was no question of proving a point," Ntini said.

In fact, he was quite relaxed about the fact that in spite of being Super Kings' spearhead, he had to sit out three games. "Only four foreigners can be played in the XI and even before I landed for the tournament, I knew that if need be, I would have to sit out a few games. So, it was perfectly OK with me," Ntini added.

Even when he was not playing, Ntini continued to be the livewire in the dressing-room. "have enjoyed my sessions with (Manpreet) Gony and (Lakshmipathy) Balaji. They're both excellent cricketers and I am also learning quite a lot from them," he said.

Talking about Balaji, who got the first hat-trick of the tournament after making a comeback, came in for special praise. "Balaji is now bowling without the fear of being injured. I think he can only go forward from here."

Who according to Ntini is the most dangerous batsman of the IPL? "It's Adam Gilchrist," he said without a shade of doubt, going back to that game against Team Hyderabad where the Aussie singlehandedly killed off the Super Kings. Ntini knows that his team may well seal the semi-final berth even before their return game against Gilchrist's team, but he doesn't want to jump the gun. "Hopefully we'll do it on Wednesday against the Bangalore Royal Challengers. But in T20, you cannot take anything for granted," Ntini sounded cautious.

The paceman feels that this long India stint (three Tests and the IPL) has helped him evolve as a cricketer. "When you're playing in India, it's not just about running in and hitting the deck hard. I'm sure I'll go back home a better cricketer," Ntini said, before walking off for a swimming session.