Dhoni is mentally very strong: Rajput

HoneY

MaaPeya Da LaaDLa
After winning the Commonwealth Bank series in Australia, MS Dhoni remarked, although in jest, that there were two ways to earn a rest. Either the selectors don't consider you, or God gives you a break by way of an injury. Such has been his gruelling run that he had to deliberate the third option: opt out himself.

India's erstwhile coach Lalachand Rajput had seen this coming. Rajput, who held an impeccable track record as India coach during his brief stint with the team, said, "Coming from a rural belt, Dhoni is mentally very strong. His work ethic is exemplary. Even during long tours he pushed himself hard, trained like hell."

Rajput admits that at times he did think that his worst fears would come to pass. "I wouldn't say that I wasn't concerned about Dhoni," he says. "You can't play day in, day out. With the amount of workload he had, his body had to give in. That's why I feel that rotational policy is a must. You need the space to revitalise." In Australia he often asked the skipper about his immense fund of energy.

Dhoni had a ready retort: "Bachpan mein roz doodh pita tha, kariban do litre. (I used to guzzle down milk everyday, approximately two litres)." He doesn't share the view that Dhoni could have given the tri-series and the Asia Cup a miss instead of opting out of the Test series in Sri Lanka. "If you ask me," he says mulling over it, "I would say perhaps he might as well have not played the One-day series. But it's an individual decision and we must respect it."

The discussion invariably veers towards the two lost finals. Is the team getting into a jinx? Rajput, while admitting that India were depleted of resources (Harbhajan Singh), feels that they are "not clicking as a unit." "Besides," he says talking about the Asia Cup final, "they hadn't played Mendis (Ajantha) earlier. Then they lost a couple of quick wickets trying to hit him across the line. That added to the pressure."

It is often suggested that sportsmen need rage within in order to punch above their weight. A fired-up India turned out to be a different kettle of fish Down Under. Pugilists need such sparks occasionally. Do cricketers? "It works both ways," Rajput says. "If you are too worked up, it could be counter-productive." "When I was with the team," he explains, "I always asked the boys to treat the finals as any other game. If you think of the result too much, the nerves do get stiff. I can tell you from experience that a relaxed dressing room can do wonders."

While Rajput has lost out on another stint with the Indian team, the BCCI has decided to retain the services of bowling coach Venkatesh Prasad, and fielding coach Robin Singh for the tour to Sri Lanka. BCCI Chief Administrative Officer, Ratnakar Shetty, too, confirmed the development.

"It has been more or less decided that they will continue for the entire season. It just needs concurrence of the office bearers." He also played down reports that the BCCI are in talks with Julien Fountain, a world renowned fielding coach. "This is what you people (the media) have reported. Let me clear the air that there have been no such requests from the team management," Shetty said.

gkapoor

Re: Dhoni is mentally very strong: Rajpu

OI CHAK DEY !!!!OI CHAK DEY !!!!OI CHAK DEY !!!!OI CHAK DEY !!!!OI CHAK DEY !!!!OI CHAK DEY !!!!OI CHAK DEY !!!!OI CHAK DEY !!!!OI CHAK DEY !!!!OI CHAK DEY !!!!OI CHAK DEY !!!!OI CHAK DEY !!!!OI CHAK DEY !!!!