Despite five stitches, Tendulkar hoping to play in final

prithvi.k

on off on off......
######

MUMBAI: Mumbai Indians captain Sachin Tendulkar, who on Wednesday suffered an injury on his right hand in their semifinal win over Royal Challengers Bangalore, said he is hoping to play in the summit clash of the IPL on April 25 here.

Tendulkar, top run getter in IPL 3, suffered right hand webbing split while taking a dropped catch of Dravid in the fourth over and he did not field after that during Bangalore's run chase.

"My right hand is not too great. Split my webbing and got five stitches. But hopefully I will recover for the final," Tendulkar said after Mumbai thumped Bangalore by 35 runs in the first semifinal to storm into their maiden IPL final at DY Patil Stadium.

Tendulkar was all praise for Suarabh Tiwary (52 not out) and Ambati Rayudu (40) who began a splendid Mumbai recovery before Kieron Pollard's late onslaught to take Mumbai score to 184 for five.

"Fantastic performance. Rayudu and Saurabh's performance was great, mental strength, shot selection, everything. And then final burst from Pollard, it was exceptional. And then we bowled really well. Pollard is getting bigger and bigger, and his hits are getting farther and farther," he added.

Bangalore captain Anil Kumble blamed the loss to the runs galore his side conceded in the last five overs.

"We conceded 77 runs in the last five overs of Mumbai batting, it was too much. I also conceded runs in my last spell. But we were in the game till the ninth over of our run chase. We were 80 for two in the ninth over but we lost two wickets in two balls, that did us in," he said.

"It was disappointing not to have reached the final. The only consolation is we can still qualify for the Champions League Twenty20 (by winning the third-place play-off on April 24)," he added.

Man-of-the-match Kieron Pollard, who was limping while batting but bowled exceptionally well later to take 3/17, said he would be fit for the final.

"After running the first two runs, I twinged my knee. But it feels good now, and hopefully I should be fit for the final," he said.

"Thanks to the team and the management for sticking with me. I know my role was to go in and up the run-rate. I think I did that and then take a couple of wickets," added the West Indian.