Delhi Police get English training

Lily

B.R
Staff member
188702834.jpg
New Delhi: Until a few weeks ago they could not correctly pronounce everyday English words. But after a mere five days of training at Delhi's Police Training College (PTC), the trainers were correcting their seniors while speaking in English.

Many of the trainers at the PTC, some of them nearing retirement, could not speak the language for even two minutes, but were training thousands of policemen over the years. But the scene changed ever since the man from Hyderabad started his mission.

A group of 40 trainers — out of the total 500 at the PTC — were coached by Munawar Zama from Hyderabad who took the job on the advice of India Islamic Culture Centre (IICC) president Sirajuddin Quraishi.

Quraishi had felt that Delhi, being a global city, must have its police force articulate in English and he suggested the task to Zama.

The first phase of the training concluded last week and the second will commence soon. The course is divided into two phases — pronunciation and communication skills including grammar.

"The classes have been a success and we can see improvement in the trainers. I think such initiatives are very important and there is a possibility that a comprehensive session will soon be organised for them," A.K. Singh, the principal of PTC, told IANS.

Improvement

"I come to the IICC every year for 40 days to teach English to students who cannot afford to go for private classes. This year I was asked to give English classes to the trainers at the PTC. The improvement is there to be seen," Zama told IANS.

M. Wajood Sajid, media adviser to Quraishi, told IANS: "This is the capital city of the country. It has a great number of tourists at any time. The city also houses various foreign high commissions and embassies. So policemen who can speak English would bring more efficiency in the force."

[/img][/COLOR]