Childhood exchanged for a chance at survival

nvkhkhr

Prime VIP

When her friends get ready for school, 15-year-old Kancha Nemadi prepares to head to work. Her office is a police control room in Raipur, the capital of the central Indian state of Chhattisgarh. The Class 10 student misses school but, made wise beyond her years by circumstances, realises her salary — Rs2,500 (Dh193) a month — is the only source of income for her family.
Kancha's is a world far removed from childhood, but she is by no means a lone figure inhabiting it. There are 14 other children in her office alone — each forced to forgo an education because their fathers were killed in service in the violence-racked Naxalite state. A provision, which exists in most government departments, enables a member of the deceased's family to be appointed on grounds of compassion. The provision states that age is no bar — though being recruited as a child constable requires these children to clear the Class 8 or Class 10 exams by the age of 18 to get a permanent appoint in the force.
Children appointed under this rule are given the freedom to report to work on alternate days and attend school on others. However, the nature of work — most carry files and serve officers tea and water — often means they have to attend office daily.
Pradeep Sahu, 18, works in the same office as Kancha. A student of Class 12, he says he likes being a child constable. "I love the job. We are usually given light work. I want to become an IPS [Indian Police Service] officer and avenge the death of my father, who was killed by Maoists."
Yet, ever so often, these children also feel the tug of childhood, the futile yearning to join their peers in play. Chandra Prakash Tiwari, 17, misses playtime but has come to accept the fact that his routine leaves little time for such "childish" longings. "My day begins at 6am, when I go to school. After returning, I have to go to the office."
While returning from office in the evening, he wishes he could join the other children he sees playing but can never do that because he has tuitions to attend. "I can't even participate in sporting events organised by the school," he says sadly, but brightens up immediately to add, "I love the respect my teachers and classmates give me by calling me a ‘policemen'."
Ask him what he wants to be, and pat comes the reply: "I want to become a police inspector."
Kailash Bharti, a student of Class 11 who is posted at the office of the Raipur superintendent of police, does not like working one bit. "I don't want to do this work," he says. "I want to study. But I have a mother and two brothers. Unless I work we will never be able to make ends meet."
Jitesh Singh echoes the sentiment. "I want to work at some other place, not the police department," he says. Posted at the Jangir's SP office at the moment, he says he spends hours thinking what the future holds in store for him. "Right now I know that for many years to come I will have to continue on my present job against my wish," he says.
Janki Prasad Rajwade, who first wore the police uniform at the age of 7 in 1994, wants to become an IPS officer after completing his studies. "I don't like to serve tea, carry files and do other sundry works at the office. But I have no option as I am the sole bread earner in the family," he says.
The issue of appointing a child constable, too, is hotly debated. Inspector General of Police T.J. Longkumer is all for the appointment of child constables in the police department. He says: "The appointment of these children provides immediate relief to families that have no source of sustenance. Our process is fast, while in other government departments appointment on grounds of compassion often takes years."
Child rights activist Amit Shah, however, does not agree. The appointment of child constables, he says, is a violation of international laws. "These child constables are similar to child soldiers, as defined by the United Nations. These children should not be forced to work and should be given other alternatives," he says.
But even as the debate continues and "alternatives" wait for a more concrete definition, the number of child constables in Chhattisgarh has been rising steadily over the past eight years.
Today there are about 175 in the Chhattisgarh state police department, and the same sad truth underlines all their lives: Their fathers died fighting the Naxalites. According to official records, 330 police officers and jawans have been killed in such encounters since the establishment of the state.
The number of pending applications for appointments on grounds of compassion is just between 12 and 18. And they are pending because, according to police, the applicants never turned up.
According to police officials, the government is providing several relaxations and concessions in giving appointments to the kin of martyrs.
The job, they insist, is provided to a minor only if there is no adult member in the family of the martyr.
In 2002, 18 child constables were appointed. Similarly, 28 child constables were appointed in 2004. The numbers were 35 in 2005, 31 in 2006 and 23 in 2007. The government has also provided jobs to the kin of policemen who died before the formation of the state.
As a result, the number of persons appointed on such grounds is twice the number of martyrs. Those getting the compassionate appointment are also employed as office staff. Three of them have also been appointed as "shiksha karmis" (teachers).
The government, on its part, has also provided group insurance cover to the police personnel posted in Bastar.
Under the scheme, up to Rs1 million is provided to the family members of each martyr.
In the case of a paramilitary force personnel posted in the state, a special grant is provided to his dependents. Earlier, the state government's approval was necessary for this.
Now the director-general of police (DGP) has been authorised by the government to sanction an amount of up to Rs300,000 to the family of the deceased.
Despite all this, however, the family members of martyrs continue to face many problems and hardships. The family members of the martyrs of the rank of constable to ASI (assistant sub-inspector) living outside Bastar division are facing the brunt of it. According to rules, the district of the personnel belonging to this rank cannot be changed. Compassionate appointment is given in the same districts the martyrs were posted in.
According to police officials, a scheme is being prepared under which police officers posted in Bastar will be appointed outside the district. Former DGP Vishwaranjan had started work on this plan.
Under the plan, relaxation could be provided to shift the police personnel between the ranks of constable and ASI to another district of the same range or to a neighbouring range.
The government has provided several relaxations in compassionate appointments as well.
The time limit for submitting applications for such appointments has been increased to one year from six months. A job can also be provided to any member with the consent of the dependent's family. Even if one member of the family is in government service, appointment on grounds of compassion can be now be given to any other family member. Besides, the DGP is also authorised to relax educational qualifications.