Celtics' stunning late run catches Knicks napping

Lily

B.R
Staff member
243201699.jpg
New York: Boston gave New York Knicks fans further reason to grumble on Monday after the Celtics produced a stunning fourth-quarter run to claim a 96-86 victory.

Paul Pierce scored 21 points, including nine straight Boston points during a critical stretch in the fourth quarter, while Kevin Garnett recorded 24 points and 11 rebounds to help the Celtics (50-19) overcome a nine-point deficit in the final quarter.

For New York, the loss intensifies the scrutiny of a team that has gone just 7-9 since a blockbuster trade that landed Carmelo Anthony and Chauncey Billups.

"We have to figure something out. It's not real good right now, obviously," New York coach Mike D'Antoni told reporters after the Knicks' (35-35) third straight loss and sixth in seven games.

"A lot of times I have my idea of how I want us to play. If we can't do that then we have to play some other way." Their recent rough patch has seen team captain Amar'e Stoudemire publicly implore his team to follow coach D'Antoni's system, while newcomer Anthony has said it will require patience as the squad develops chemistry.

Halftime lead

Anthony scored 17 of his 22 points in the first half on Monday as the Knicks built a 14-point halftime lead, but he and Stoudemire failed to record a field goal in the fourth. New York held an 82-73 advantage with 7:26 remaining before Boston ran off a 13-0 run and ended the contest with ten consecutive points.

RESULTS

* Orlando 97 CLEVELAND 86
* Indiana 102 NEW JERSEY 98
* Boston 96 NY KNICKS 86
* CHICAGO 132 Sacramento 92
* MEMPHIS 103 Utah 85
* S.ANTONIO 111 Golden State 96
* DENVER 123 Toronto 90

[/img][/COLOR]