Campaign gives India children their 'Second Gandhi'

Lily

B.R
Staff member
267884320.jpg
New Delhi: They have only read in their text books about Mahatma Gandhi and how he led India's freedom struggle. However, for the number of school children in Delhi who visited Jantar Mantar in the past few days, Anna Hazare is now their real ‘Second Gandhi.'

The children, who witnessed Hazare ending his 97-hour fast, later said the Jantar Mantar experience was an unforgettable one.

As the 73-year-old Gandhian, non-violent campaigner and anti-corruption crusader took a few sips of the fruit juice offered to him by a little girl, other children watching danced with joy along with their teachers and parents.

Hazare ended his fast after the government's declaration that it would introduce in parliament a more stringent anti-graft law, which will be drafted by a 10-member committee that also includes civil society representatives.

Lessons learnt

"I have read that Gandhi was great, but I could never see him. I didn't know who was Anna Hazare, but now I call him my Gandhi," Subah Saluja, a grade 11 pupil from St Michael's School, said.

"After seeing what Anna has achieved, I've learnt that if you have the courage and determination, you can take on anything in this world. He will be an inspiration for many; he is the Gandhi of our times," added the girl, whose parents admitted that it was Subah who had brought them to Jantar Mantar.

Children from around half a dozen different city schools had converged at Jantar Mantar with posters, banners and tricolours supporting Hazare's move.

[/img][/COLOR]