BJP readmits Bharti into party ahead of key polls

Lily

B.R
Staff member
New Delhi India's principal opposition Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) opened its doors yesterday for the former Madhya Pradesh chief minister Uma Bharti.

Five-and-a-half years after she was expelled, Bharti was readmitted into the party with an eye on the crucial assembly elections in Uttar Pradesh next year.

"BJP welcomes the return of Uma Bharti into the party. She will focus on Uttar Pradesh BJP. She will focus on the party's campaign in Uttar Pradesh," said BJP national president Nitin Gadkari.

Bouquet and sweets

He welcomed the 52-year-old back into the party by presenting a bouquet and offering sweets.

"I discussed the issue with all leaders and parliamentary party members and so I am announcing it now. With Uma Bharti, we will get power in Uttar Pradesh politics," Gadkari told reporters. "She will manage the party propaganda in the state from Lucknow. With our faith on ... Ram, we want Ram Rajya in the country. Uma Bharti will cooperate in this."

Bharti was expelled from BJP in December 2005 following a tantrum she displayed after Shivraj Singh Chouhan was appointed the Madhya Pradesh chief minister. She floated her own political outfit, the Bharatiya Janshakti Party, which failed to take off.

Bharti's expulsion was revoked after Chouhan and the Madhya Pradesh unit agreed to Gadkari's proposal to keep her out of the state.

"I want to forget the last five years I have spent out of BJP," she said.

Third leader

Gadkari announced his intention to bring back those who had quit or were expelled from the BJP soon after his appointment as the BJP president in December 2009. Bharti is the third leader to be brought back by Gadkari after former Delhi chief minister Madanlal Khurana and former federal minister Jaswant Singh.

As a member of the Lodh community which is politically influential in western parts of Uttar Pradesh, BJP hopes to galvanise the pro-Hindu vote bank, make the party attractive to the ‘Other Backward Classes' and prepare the party for future elections.